I know. I get it. I am generally a pretty good water drinker BUT sometimes we just need to mix it up! Here are some great options for you to “mix up” your daily hydration routine:
- Almond milk
- Coconut milk
- Oat milk
- Soy milk (if tolerated)
My most recent Starbucks order: Hot almond milk, with extra cinnamon, chocolate, and a little nutmeg powder. And it was tasty, warm, and cost less than $3! Now that is a sustainable ‘coffee’ habit! Use the Starbucks app to find our nutrient information. This will help you watch out for hidden sugar! For example, I was considering a Match tea but then I saw the 25g+ of carbs and knew it was going to contain some kind of sweetener or syrup.
You can also make a delicious hot drink at home!
I love to make my own hot chocolate using coconut or almond milk, organic cacao and or chocolate protein powder.
- Start by warming up your choice of milk, whisk in 1 Tb of organic cacao powder. Add a few drops of stevia is needed.
- To make a “meal in a mug”: consider adding a scoop of gelatin or collagen peptides for protein and ½ tsp of coconut oil or MCT oil for some long-lasting energy.
So delicious and full of antioxidants, protein and healthy fats!
- Start by warming up your choice of milk.
- Whisk in ½ – 1 serving of your favorite chocolate protein powder.
- Optional: add the extract of your favorite flavor of latte (hazelnut, vanilla) or peppermint essential oil for a fresh pick me up!
- Blend to add froth and add a dash of cinnamon, chocolate, or nutmeg powder.
- To make a “meal in a mug”: consider adding a ½ tsp of coconut oil or MCT oil for some long-lasting energy.
For better digestion:
- 1 slice of organic lemon in 8 oz of room temperature water.
- Drink first thing in the morning for better digestion and hydration.
Raw Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- Take ½ – 1 Tb of ACV in 1 oz of water.
Kombucha tea: a fermented tea drink
- This is a great way to add some probiotic into your day and there are so many flavors and brand so if you don’t like the first one you try… try another!
Are you craving some sweet citrus on a hot day?
Boosted Apple Juice
- Try adding BalancedDocs Vitamin C powder + organic Apple juice, and some ice for a nice cold beverage.
When playing with your own healthy drink recipes, stevia drops can be used to sweeten some drinks, but I challenge you to still decrease the amount (3 down to 2 drops). As you change your eating habits, your taste buds will change and your reference for “sweet” will change as well.
Did you recently go Gluten free?
Don’t worry you can still enjoy some gluten free ciders when you are craving that ‘cold one’.
Or wanting some wine to unwind? Choose red over white for more of antioxidant punch! I hope this helps adds to your new and improved healthy lifestyle!
-Ali Parkerson, MS NTP, Peak Medical Clinic