Goal Setting for 2019: How to do it and How to ACHIEVE IT!
“A dream written down with a date becomes a goal. A goal broken down into steps becomes a plan. A plan backed by action makes your dreams come true.” – Greg S. Reid
Let’s make 2019 the year you achieve those health and fitness goals!
Your New Year’s resolutions may seem like the same ones year after year that you never achieve, but let’s put an end to that.
Today we are going to make a PLAN to achieve your dreams.
“A dream written down with a date becomes a goal. A goal broken down into steps becomes a plan. A plan backed by action makes your dreams come true.”
Picture your dream life in your head. Got that picture? When do you want to achieve this dream lifestyle or at least to achieve a significant step towards that ultimate dream life? These dreams & goals can be anything from a few months to years away, but just write them down with the date.
I will give you a few examples:
- Increasing your self-confidence and esteem through better body composition. *notice the simple goal here isn’t just ‘weight loss’. It is specific to the reason why you want to lose weight.
- You could also say to improve my health and decrease my risk factors to developing T2D or heart disease if your doctors has told you that your lab test are showing you have a higher risk. This goal will likely INCLUDE losing some weight in the process of getting healthier.
Now let’s make those goals into SMART goals.
Attached to this blog is a SMART goals worksheet. Download this PDF and follow along to create your plan to make your dream a reality.
Developing your SMART Goals
Today’s Date: Jan 10, 2019 Target Date: July 2019 Start Date: Jan 14, 2019
- I want to lose 15lbs of fat by mid-July 2019, to look leaner. I am currently sitting at a weight of 145 lbs.
Specific: What is it that you want to achieve?
- I want to achieve a leaner look, that will also help my CrossFit performance, self-esteem, and confidence in my own skin.
Measurable: How will you know when you have accomplished this?
- When my body composition scan reports a lower body fat percentage, lower wt and similar muscle mass reading.
Achievable: Is achieving this goal realistic with effort and commitment? What resources will be required for this goal and how will you obtain them?
- This goal and date of 6 months is very realistic. Six months to achieve 15 lbs of weight loss equates to 2.5 lbs lost per month, less than a pound a week. This will allow me to maintain as much muscles as possible and it will not require a severe calorie deficit making it much less stressful on my body in the long run.
Relevant: Why is this goal significant to your life? Why do you seek this goal?
- Working in the nutrition and fitness industry I want to experience what it is like to put myself through a more rigors weight loss journey, while improving my self-confidence, aesthetics, and CF performance.
Timely: When will you achieve this goal?
- I will achieve this goal by mid-July in 2019.
Why is this goal important to you?
- This goal is important to me because I have struggled to lose that “last 5-10lbs”. I would like to see what I look like around 130lbs marker while maintaining my muscle mass with strength training.
What are the benefits from achieving this goal?
- Improved health, confidence, and athletic performance.
Time to ACT!
Who are the people you will ask to help and support you?
- i.e. Mother – also enjoy healthy meals
- i.e. Sister – workout buddy
- i.e. Riley – walking buddy
Specific Action Steps: What steps can you take to achieve your goal?
|What?||Date to be completed||Completed?|
|Grocery Shop for healthy food 1x week (Make a list, shop once and stick to it or order it online for pick to save money on impulse buys.)||Saturday 10-11am|
|Meal Prep food each week||Sunday 12-2pm|
Walk 1×30 mins per day or 3×10 mins/day
|Morning, lunch & after dinner|
|Weight training 3-4 days a week||M/W/F/Sat at 6-8am|
If you need help creating your plan for success, come visit one of our clinics and one of our Nutrition & Fitness Advisors would be happy to help you!