Fall Energy Boosters
If you are feeling as exhausted as most of us at the end of a busy summer filled with late nights, too many out-of-town trips, restless kids, and a bad diet, this article is for you!
To get yourself energized in a hurry without cramping your style or time schedule, try the following suggestions and you’ll see your energy increase in just two weeks. You may also find yourself eating better, managing your moods, sleeping more soundly at night, and creating efficiency throughout the day.
Ramp up your energy with food!
- Cut out the sweets, and excessive breads and starch. These foods only give you short energy and cause insulin to rise, creating fatigue and brain fade.
- Reduce caffeine. More than a cup or two per day will kill your energy and soar your cravings.
- Eat plenty of complex carbohydrates loaded with fiber! 50% of your meals should be fruit, veggie and high fiber grains. Add a good fat source like olives, peanuts or almonds daily.
- Eat breakfast religiously! (Your kids desperately need this too). Try to have a protein and carbohydrate each morning.
- Drink water all day long, or in three shifts per day. Try to consume at least 8 glasses of water every 24 hours. You will feel fewer headaches, fewer cravings, and lots more energy.
- Take deep breaths! When we rush around and are cramped for time, we often start shallow breathing which causes tiredness, irritability and dizziness. Breathe in to the count of 6, hold 3 seconds and then breathe out for 6 seconds at least 4 times each day. Find out how this also helps with weight loss!
- Stretch daily. Try getting out of bed a couple minutes early and loosen your muscles, which will ease joint pain, and improve the blood flow to your whole body! You can do this in your car, at work, or even while fixing breakfast. Put your hands over your head, and bend to one side and back, then stretch the neck to either shoulder, then and grab your toes and extend your legs back to your buttocks to stretch your quadriceps. This will pump up the blood volume and get you feeling like moving!
- Move! Believe it or not, getting up 30 minutes earlier to work your body will give you much more energy then sleeping in. It may be time to find a workout partner to keep you accountable and get you outside regularly for a brisk walk, jog, swim or cycle. It’s easy, you will feel great all day, and your emotional balance will be significantly improved.
- Sleep like a baby. Aim for 7-8 hours each night, going to bed earlier and getting up earlier–your energy will skyrocket. During sleep you make the hormones necessary for energy balance and mind performance.
- Try taking energy supplements. You can boost your vitality by giving your body a generous supply of necessary vitamins, amino acids and minerals. Here are a few you might not know about:
- Taurine–an amino acid helpful for detoxifying and increasing endurance and energy.
- L-Carnatine–an amino acid that gives you energy and a clear head.
- B-100 complex–gives you excellent, sustained energy, improved memory and concentration. Take in the morning.
- Add a multi-vitamin with chromium and magnesium for improved muscle performance, blood sugar control and energy.
- Co-Enzyme Q-10. This is the well-known energy-boosting supplement that also protects your heart and breasts.
To see the effects, try adding one suggestion per week and be consistent. After implementing these strategies into each day you will notice that you are not dragging yourself around at 5 pm! Set aside 10 minutes each evening to plan your food, get your supplements ready for the next day and then get to bed on time so that you are ready for another energy-filled day!
Good luck on your journey!