What are the Symptoms of Menopause?
Some of you out there might need to re-fill your tool chest with “symptom-relief” options for Menopausal or Perimenopausal side effects or concerns…. Consider the following “fast-track” symptom control plan!
Hot Flashes/ Night Sweats
- Black Cohosh 40mg daily
- Vitamin E 400- 800 IU daily
- Evening primrose oil 1000-2000mg/day
- Flax seed, meal or oil 2-3 Tablespoons or 4-8 capsules
- Reduce caffeine, stress, alcohol, hot beverages and spicy foods
- Dress in layers, use fans, drink cold beverages
- Paced respiration at onset of hot flash (slow, deep abdominal breathing)
- Exercise daily, avoid smoking
Mood / Depression
- 5HTP 50-100 mg at bedtime B-complex orally, sublingual drops, or injection in AM
- Progesterone 20-60 mg at bedtime, topically (have levels drawn to make sure dose is right)
- St. Johns Wort
- GABA 250mg twice daily for anxiety
- Daily Exercise and balanced diet
- Consistently get 7-9 hours of sleep
- Go to sleep by 10 PM.
- B-complex orally, sublingual drops, or injection
- Daily exercise. You will sleep better and have more energy.
- Improve diet. Do not skip meals, eat low fat protein at each meal, and limit sugar and simple carbohydrates.
- Decrease alcohol, caffeine, and other stimulants
- Develop a bedtime ritual (bath, relaxing music, reading)
- Herbal teas (chamomile, passion flower, lemon balm, sleepy time)
- Daily exercise and balanced diet.
- Sleep support supplement “End Fatigue/Sleep” a great natural supplement for improving sleep.
- 5HTP 50-100mg in the evening, valerian root, or melatonin 1-3mg nightly. (can be purchased here)
- Take care of yourself and your relationship. Feeling good physically and emotionally is important for libido.
- Set aside time to be intimate.
- L-Arginine 1500mg/night improves blood flow to the genitals.
- Have hormones checked, as DHEA or Testosterone levels could be low.
- Daily exercise for 30-60 minutes
- Improve diet; less bread/starches; more fruit veggies, and fiber, protein with each meal and NO sugar!
- Chromium Picolinate 200mg 2-3x/day for blood sugar balance.
Memory loss / mental fog
- Adequate sleep and balanced diet
- Exercise daily
- Keep your mind active: take a class, do crossword puzzles, read
- Fish Oil 3000mg daily
- L-Carnitine 750-1000mg daily on empty stomach
- B-Complex drops or capsules daily after breakfast